Guinness Pork Chops with Onion Brown Gravy

1. These pork chops look incredible! I will be trying them. I had a bad experience with cooking with Guinness too. I made a chocolate mousse and it was bitter. I haven’t cooked with it since either. You could say St. Paddy’s. That would be masculine?

I guess we’re not dark beer kind of people, Julie 😀 You won’t taste the bitterness with this one, I promise. Especially if you also serve the beer before dinner. That trick actually worked!! And yes, I’m told St. Paddy’s is acceptable 🙂

Happy Saint Patrick’s Day Angie! I am loving your Irish posts and will make this for sure! I have cooked with Guinness before, and it adds so much depth and flavour! Yum!
    PS: I must be a very bad food blogger! I haven’t been trying out any Irish recipes…just waiting for my blogging buddies to post them! 😉

Yes, you’ve been very bad! Lol, just kidding! I can never say that to my co-host. But yes, Guinness does add a lot of flavor. And in my case, the blonde lager is just perfect. But you can always use the dark stout if you like it. 🙂

3. They look absolutely succulent and delicious 🙂

4. Looks amazing! I actually had a Guinness in Ireland before my celiac diagnosis, and it was better than the ones in the US (if you like a traditional dark Guinness). But, I’m guessing that wouldn’t be your thing. :p Love that you had this post up in time for St. Patrick’s Day too! 🙂

That seems to be the consensus, that Guinness tastes better in Ireland. I’m more of a wine or cocktail drinker to begin with. There are times I want beer but usually the light. I also love shandy! 🙂

5. Hilda says:

I’m a bit late for St. Patrick’s day, but this recipe would be perfect here for any time of the year.

6. Mmm looks so rich and delicious! Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

7. I did see this post in my reader feed (sans photo), and boy am I glad I took a closer look! Blonde Guinness sounds like something I would actually enjoy cooking with. I hate all things bitter, which rules out most beer recipes for me.

The same thing happened when I first moved to self-hosted, posts or photos not showing up. Go figure. You won’t taste the bitterness in this one, maybe just a tiny tiny little bit if you’re sensitive. The sugar and vinegar help a lot in masking the bitterness.

8. Oh my word! I need to cook some of these up ASAP! LOVE this recipe!

It’s really good! I put my name on it! Make sure you use a fully packed tablespoon of brown sugar. It needs it to balance out the bitterness of the lager.

9. I posted a recipe for lamb stew and used extra stout; also posted one for beef stew using draught. Neither of them tasted bitter – I think it’s the other ingredients that balances out the Guinness no matter what you use 🙂

Maybe if you introduce it early in the cooking process, there’s less bitterness in the end? But I think some people are just more sensitive to the bitter taste in food. I’m probably one of those people! I’m slowly getting used to it, though. I used to think Brussels sprouts and eggplants were bitter! But now I can tolerate them, and sometimes even enjoy them.

10. sarahgiebens says:

Wow Angie this look amazing! My mouth is watering…

11. I think I’m in love with your pork chops! I love that it had a repeat request, I’m just wondering if I need to go buy more Guinness, now, the lager!

I hope it wasn’t the Guinness Stew I posted last St. Paddy’s that you didn’t like…I’d be mortified! I often use a little jam (yep, jam) to round out the bitterness.

No, of course it wasn’t yours! It was Food Network! Now I love most of Bobby Flay’s and Ina Garten’s recipes but there are a few recipes there I’m not crazy about. But I think my problem is that I’m not a fan of dark beers, period. I love that jam tip!!!

• Thanks – see, I’m the opposite. Love dark beers; they seem somehow to be less “sharp” I guess. Although I’ve recently been introduced to Blue Moon by my sis, and what I call Bicycle Beer (fat tire) by my Dad, lol! I obviously have not been drinking enough and keeping up with beer. Wow, there’s a lot, lol!

I’m just not a big beer drinker, I guess, which sometimes create a problem when I get together with my friends. Most of them love beers! They drink it like water! I’ve heard of Blue Moon, from Hawaii, right? Is it good?

Ok, I just googled it. It’s not Hawaii, but Belgium. I must have confused it with something else. Which happens a lot with me, lol!

• Surprisingly quaffable. I don’t drink much at all, to tell the truth…but I’d rather have wine! 🙂

Yum! I am not at all a Guinness drinker and have never heard of the Blonde before but will keep an eye out. These chops look very good indeed! And I have to admit I celebrated St Patricks day with en English beer rather than Irish, don’t tell anyone! 🙂

13. Nancy says:

If there’s none of that Guinness bitterness, I’m all in! Your chops look spectacular, Ange!

You shouldn’t be able to taste any bitterness with this one, maybe just a tiny tiny bit if you’re sensitive, which will go away if you cook the sauce a little longer, adding more liquid/broth as necessary. Give it a try and let me know what you think! ?

14. Carlee says:

Yes please! That looks so good. I just know my husband will love it too. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday!

15. This looks so so great!! I’ve never been a pork chop person but this might have me rethinking my choices! Thank you for sharing with us at Throwback Thursday, this will be featured at tomorrows party! Hope to see you there!

16. Oh wow! This looks so good. What a great way to get the flavor without the (for me, kind of not that great) bitter flavor!

17. I just revisited this post – I saw them on the sidebar! I can’t believe it’s been a year and I still haven’t made them!

I also noticed your comment on the car bomb – I wasn’t aware there was a drink but have seen plenty of cupcake recipes – I was SOOO shocked at the name. It IS offensive. How does Boston Bomb Brown Bread sound? I have a hard time with anything with the name “Crack” too. If you make Crack chicken it’s cute? But what if you called it Crack Cocaine chicken…not so cute, huh?

Thnks for speaking out, tho! Sorry if I ranted!

You have to make this, and then come back and tell me how you’ve improved it!
      And about those cutesy names – I’m all for them as long as they don’t offend. If one person tells me it offends her/him, I’ll stop. It’s just not worth hurting others just to be cute or clever, you know what I mean? And you didn’t rant, you’re just voicing your opinion ?