Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes

1. Love your stream of consciousness Angie! All valid questions and so hard to ever know the answer to! The cupcakes look soooooo goid! Especially w those flowers. Can’t wait to see how you made them. Funny how Tracey at What’s for Dinner Doc, you and me all had pineapple coconut on the brain this past week. Glad I found you again 🙂

I’ve found a few answers to my questions. Let’s just say I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing. At least for now 🙂

Have you been craving pina colada, too? That’s what these cupcakes remind me of! Love those flavors! I’m going to check out yours. Is it here already @FF62?

2. Stephanie @ The Cozy Cook says:

Ah yes… I know exactly what you mean with these questions. It’s funny how we end up taking similar journeys. I started as “TheChoppingBlogs.com” (yuck, hate that name). I took terrible pictures with my cell phone (like, god awful)… and the recipes were like, not even recipes. I don’t have any idea what I was thinking. Then the recipes improved but the pictures were still awful. I’ve replaced some of the pictures, some are still on my site… some I just deleted altogether..) it’s a huge process! I wish I had some answers for you but I think your approach is perfect… leave the originals where they are, and bring your favorites over here, revamped! 😉 Nice work Ang! 🙂

I’ve seen blogger friends go thru the self-hosted route only to abandon it a few months later. I had no idea why!! I think it’s hard blogging when you can’t find readers, and self-hosting doesn’t exactly make it easy. Hello!! Self!! You’re on your own!! So I’m trying to find a balance here. We’ll see how it goes. I could be proven all wrong! Thanks for sticking with me! XOXO

3. These look so beautiful Angie x

4. tentimestea says:

What beautiful cupcakes! The pineapple flower is so clever; I always through it was an actual flower on the gravatar 🙂
    I agree, this is such a nice way to revamp old recipes; I can’t say I have very many old posts as my blog hasn’t been around for too long, but even things that I look back and wince at, I don’t want to remove… I start feeling sentimental since I did put time into it at one point.
    Also, I think the header image is new from last time I visited; it’s very cute and a tastefully thematic choice!

I’m glad you agree! I feel very attached to those old posts! I want to see the journey, you know. That way I can see myself growing.

The header is a work in progress. Just got myself a new toy to do digital art and stuff so playing around with it still. 🙂

5. So pretty Angie! My FF post this week is an update of an old recipe and I did think about those things, but honestly the old post’s photos were so bad I didn’t care if I lost traffic, I’d prefer no traffic than people seeing those photos any longer haha!

Oh well, if they were that bad then yes I would delete 😀 Just kidding! I’m pretty sure they weren’t bad! We tend to be too hard on ourselves! Like the header I’m drawing. I keep erasing even though my daughter tells me it looks nice!

• Oh trust me Angie, my 1 year old nephews could have down a better job than the photos on that original post haha! But they’re all shiny and new though! But you’re right, we’re definitely harder on ourselves – I was so happy with the new photos for this recipe, so much so that I kept just looking at them… but then the more I looked at them the more things I spotted that could be improved!
        You’re drawing the header? That’s exciting! I need a new one for mine, but drawing is not my forte! When I have a bit of spare money though I’m gonna pay a graphic designer friend of mine to do one for me 😀

It’s nice to have a designer friend. But I’m known as the one with the artistic flair among my friends! So I hired myself. Even though I don’t think I’m that good!

6. These are gorgeous Angie!!! I love updating old recipes and seeing how much you’ve grown 🙂 Those old posts of mine I look at and go “Isn’t that sweet” haha!

7. I’d love to know the answers to your questions?! I know some of my old posts and photos could do with pimping but I don’t have a different blog to renew them on

8. Again – only half of my comment has appeared! Good job I made a copy, let’s try again:

9. Nope – still only half of it showing – what’s happening???

10. A Home Cook says:

These are truly beautiful cupcakes. How could anyone pass by without even wanting a sample? I love the idea of dried pineapple flowers. That’s filed away into my ‘good ideas for later’ place.

11. Jess says:

These look AWESOME Angie- thanks for bringing to FF this week…and for asking me to host 😉

12. Lili says:

Really pretty cupcakes and very interested in the use of coconut oil. Love the flowers too! Updating sounds cool… Sorry I have no answers though… I know nothing!!! 🙂 Thanks for hosting the party again Angie! 🙂

The oil gives quite a bit of flavor. Might be enough for those who don’t enjoy coconut. But if you like it, add coconut extract as well. Tropical explosion!! Loved, loved it! I’m not too worried about finding all the answers. Let things progress organically, I’d say! 🙂

• Lili says:

The coconut sounds great!! Must try to make these one day. I don’t think I’ve ever made a cake with coconut.
        And yes, going with the flow sounds good! Everything’s great so far! 🙂

Coconut oil is also supposedly healthier. Who knows anymore. People used to say canola was healthy, now not so much. Anyway, I bought this big jar of extra virgin coconut oil so I’m looking for ways to use it. It comes solid like shortening/butter and it smells like my coconut candle! Very fragrant! If you’re not used to coconut, use sparingly.

• Lili says:

I’ve heard coconut oil is healthy … I’ve got a small bottle but I’ve only been using it for bliss balls and cocoa bites. I think I’ll go and look for a big bottle!! 🙂

13. I think leaving the old photos on posts is fine, it shows your journey, how you have grown as a cook & a photographer. Was there ever a time when you were bad?? Cant imagine that 🙂 These cupcakes are utterly beautiful, love those pineapple flowers, that’s something I need to try soon!

14. Sandhya says:

Angie,
    Those cup cakes are breath takingly beautiful! I love the taste of pineapple and have a pineapple recipe for FF today too.
    Your posts are all awesome. I dread looking at my old ones an di am talking only a few months old…..so much to learn:(

15. Pineapple and coconut are a match made in heaven – and you’ve made it even more “heavenly” with this stunning presentation. 🙂

Thanks for the kind words, Ronit! And I think you’re right about pineapple and coconut being a match made in heaven. They just work together! 🙂

16. Thought I recognised your cupcake and pineapple flowers. Normally I have a really bad memory for…well, most things. Oddly, I’ll recognise the written word. Like sitting down to read a book, only to realise from the first sentence that I’ve read it already. Yep, that’s happened. Anyway, I’ve been updating some of mine as well. As I’d never liked the photos to begin with. Probably still don’t! 🙂 But, importantly, I like the recipes.

I have a pretty good memory and I remember many stunning photos from your blog. Many, many! And your pretty plates, etc. I hope you didn’t delete any! So much work going into the photos! I have been paid for an old photo on the blog, btw. Lots of money for one! One of these days I’ll tell the story. So, don’t delete!

• Well done you! No, I haven’t deleted. Most originals have been kept – to taunt me! 🙂 Sometimes it’s good to look back. You’re highlighting the importance of revisiting recipes, and making sure they’re at their best. Ultimately, aren’t the recipes, in a way, the crown itself? And the photos, when they work, jewels. Hahaha! Should’ve slept more. 🙂

17. Madie says:

These cupcakes are so beautiful! Can I use butter or canola oil instead of coconut oil?

Thanks, Madie! Yes, you can use canola oil or melted butter. The coconut oil, however, gives the cupcakes the coconut flavor and aroma. But you can also achieve the same result with coconut extract. Let us know how they turn out for you!

18. Angie, I’d love to know the answers to those exact same questions! I’ve been tempted to re-photograph for a number of posts, but (like you’ve said) some of them rank quite highly on google image (and general) searches.
    Your cupcakes look like perfection in all manner of ways… and what stunning photos! M.xx

I think updating by adding new photos is okay, but deleting then replacing is not. I think. Not 100% sure. I feel it’s okay to repeat recipes if you find new ways to improve. After all we often make the same dish multiple times, in real life, right? Often tweaking as we go. I’m sure your followers would appreciate the extra tips and improvements.

19. Well done, Angie! :-)) I am seriously impressed!! I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

20. Shari Kelley says:

These pineapple flowers are so beautiful and unique! I love them. I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one with lots of questions. Maybe you should start another website with all of the answers you find out, Angie! You would have a lot of grateful bloggers out there!:)

• Shari Kelley says:

Oh, and I also wanted to say that I have so many posts and pictures that make me cringe and some of them are not that long ago!:(

If I ever find the answers to these questions, Shari, I will definitely share, with or without another website. I can’t even imagine how I would handle another one! And thanks for the compliment on the pineapple flowers. They’re pretty easy to do, I hope you’ll give them a try! 🙂