Beignets for Valentine’s Day

1. Love love love beignets! And can’t wait to make these! I commented earlier but not sure if it went through. Thanks for sharing these adorable beignets with us, Angie!

2. These look amazing!! I’ve been planning to make beignets for ever, and I really think this is a sign πŸ™‚

3. these are so pretty! i would love to make a batch to share with my neighbour & her son. I’ve never been very good at working with dough (or oil, for that matter). i wouldn’t even know how to tell if the oil is too hot (or not hot enough) lol. do people still test how hot the oil is by dropping a small splatter of dough into the oil (to test its hotness) lol i may be overthinking this way to much. I’m making these. I’ll let you know how everything goes okπŸ‘

• Hey Maria, where you been, girl?! πŸ˜ƒ Glad to hear from you! Yes, you can definitely test your oil by dropping a tiny piece of dough. If it sizzles immediately, then it’s hot enough. But make sure it’s not too hot. If your dough browns too quickly, then it’s too hot. The easy way is to use a thermometer. Let me know how it turns out for you. I hope your neighbors like them! πŸ˜ƒ

4. eatmunchlove says:

these are adorablee!!!

5. Sandhya says:

Wow! Love these and would find all reasons throughout the year to make them:)

OMG, Angie! You are just too smart! Combining your holidays in super delicious style! I want these for breakfast tomorrow with my coffee! Very tasty! πŸ˜€

7. Ginger says:

They look amazing – I had been thinking of beignets for Shrove Tuesday, but the frying bit has always put me off a little … only the smell of it, never the taste πŸ˜‰
    Hope you had a lovely Valentine’s! I celebrated in style, having a glass of prosecco in London’s most stylish train station – St Pancras – with the girls whilst the love of my life was at home looking after the children …

• I know what you mean about frying. I tried making a baked version, but no good! Too bad! Hey, I’ve been to St Pancras. I love travelling by train in Europe, so comfy. Believe it or not, have never taken a train here in the states! Anyway, so nice of your love to watch the children while you’re having fun. Mine does the same for me whenever I’m out with girlfriends. We have the best husbands in the world! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

8. Oh my gosh, these look amazing! I actually gasped a little at the photo with the nutella inside!
    And okay, when you were talking about Fat Tuesday I was thinking to myself “thank god the next holiday here isn’t until Shrove Tuesday” and then I realised Fat Tuesday and Shrove Tuesday at the same thing! Oh dear!

• That would be my favorite way to enjoy these beignets, filled with Nutella, but takes a little effort to make. Dunking or drizzling with chocolate is a lot easier. Elaine was saying it’s also called Pancake Day. 3 different names for the same thing! Actually, make that 4. It’s also called Mardi Gras here! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

9. Angie these are great, I love beignets and I love the chocolate filling too!! Yum!!! πŸ™‚

10. skd says:

I love the little tails at the end of these hearts. they look so adorable. πŸ™‚

11. litadoolan says:

These look like they melt in the mouth! Awesome. Enjoy the day!

12. The Fillings says:

Nothing says love to a man more than deep fried confectionery. As they say, “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”
    Adam.

13. I really love your Beignets, Angie πŸ™‚ The texture looks so soft and fluffy. Yummy and so delicious. Have a wonderful weekend πŸ˜‰

Oh wow Angie, we just had a cousin visiting us from Toronto, and just got him off on a flight to New Orleans to celebrate Mardi Gras. As he left, I told him to eat some beignets for me, then I see your post? Brilliant!! I’ve never made them before, I hope to now. Just so cute, and the addition of nutella? You love to tease don’t ya? πŸ™‚ Happy V-Day!

• Perfect timing, yay!! You’ll have to try these, Loretta! Better than store-bought donuts! The other recipe asks that you refrigerate the dough overnight and it does give you softer and smoother crumbs, but the difference is slight. You can’t go wrong with either! I hope you’ll give these a try! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

15. These look so delicate and divine!

16. A perfect and gorgeous solution!!! I hope you both enjoy them πŸ™‚ happy Valentine’s Day xx

17. Memories of New Orleans… I still have not made them but I do like your chocolate addition. Happy Valentine’s Day!

18. Angie, I love beignets! You made these look so simple to put together and your daughter is definitely the queen of great ideas with these with the ganache drizzle.

• She’s been watching me! She now makes better grilled cheese sandwich and omelette than my husband! πŸ˜ƒ Beignets are pretty easy to make. With a Kitchenaid, it takes no time at all to knead. I hope you’ll give them a try! XO

19. Recently watched Chef movie. That is the first time I heard the term Beignets. I googled these and found the wiki about these. Loved these.
    An idea of selling some fresh beignets on a food truck was quite exciting.
    Yours look soft pillows of cloud, filled with Nutella. Yumm.

20. Beignets filled nutella?! Oh my gosh, that sounds delicious!

21. Is there anything better than fresh fried dough?? This looks mouthwatering!

22. You nailed it Angie!! Talk about two birds with one stone! And the nutella ones, wow!!

23. Beignets are so good. But haven’t made them with yeast before. Will pop into your basic beignet recipe to have a look. Oh, and have a great CNY!

• These are New Orleans beignets. They’re more like donuts; in fact they ARE donuts, just without holes πŸ˜ƒ. Pretty sure you’ve seen my original recipe a year ago. We’re hoping to get to Chinatown for CNY. We love watching the lion dance and the food is always amazing, but at this point doubtful. It’ll be freezing cold!

24. These beignets look so tasty, I have never tried making them at home before!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

25. apsara says:

Ooh, they look so delicious. Love the nutella-filled ones, they look like perfect pillows. Have a wonderful, albeit busy week ahead, Angie. πŸ™‚ I have been looking to make GF, vegan doughnuts. Maybe beignets would be a good place to start? Are they easier?

• Yes, definitely easier since you don’t have to make that hole in the middle. You can cut the dough into rectangles with a pizza cutter. In fact in New Orleans that’s how they are served. I’d be interested to see your GF vegan version. What flour would you be using?

• apsara says:

I’m thinking of GF all-purpose flour. My daughter is now on a GF, CF diet and she wants donuts. Now, GF baking has become my priority in life. I will have to make them somehow!

• I have a lot to learn about GF baking. My BIL is also on GF diet and swears it has improved his health dramatically. He does look a lot healthier. He even lost weight! I’ve tried some of his GF snacks. Not bad at all! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

26. Oh my gosh! A FILLED Beignet! With nutella, no less? πŸ™‚

27. Victoria says:

These look scrumptious Angie!

28. Love this Angie! And I had never heard of Fat Tuesday until now! But definitely a clever thing to do – to combine both days into one and make one special treat! The one with nutella sounds so yummy – my mouth is watering! I am sure your husband must have been pleased! Belated Happy valentine’s day, my friend! πŸ™‚

• Thanks, Indu! Sometimes my brain works and I love it when that happens, lol! Work smarter, not harder, right?! I hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. Too much chocolate for me. Totally hubby’s fault! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

It’s very hard to choose from dusting of powdered sugar, Nutella-filled and with chocolate ganache. It seems that I will take everything, Angie. πŸ˜›
    And congrats for being early this time. πŸ˜€ Have a blessed week, Angie. xx

30. weebirdie says:

The name, “fat Tuesday” still makes me smile somehow. Pancake Tuesday for us here in UK. ☺ can you eat anything fatty for fat Tuesday? Or just sweet fatty things? I love to munch on some of those cute beignets, but I am sure I wont be able to stop once I start!

• You can eat anything you want on Fat Tuesday! It’s the last day before Lenten fasting begins. I’m giving up French fries this year, will be tough! So glad you like the beignets. I’m like you, once I started on them, I couldn’t stop! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

31. tastasty says:

What a delightful looking dessert – love it! πŸ˜€

32. Sophie33 says:

I knew that when you do a lovely recipe, you always make it a bit more specula,..;And that is why, I love you! x Ha! Lovely nuttily filled home-made beignets! Yes, mam! x

33. A_Boleyn says:

I love beignets. I first had them in New Orleans at the Cafe du Monde and years later, when my nephew visited, he brought back a bag of the beignet mix for me to make a batch. It was almost as good as those I remembered though I missed the chicory coffee they served with the beignets.

34. Beignet are a weakness of mine, well fried dough in general. I want to make these so badly but am afraid I will eat the whole batch myself. I would love one with a cup of cafe au lait. When I was in New Orleans for a week I went to Cafe Du Monde every single day sometimes twice a day to have beignet, oh my they were delicious.

• I know exactly how you feel! As soon as we ate the last one, my family and I were looking for more, and I was contemplating making another batch. It was easy to make but it wouldn’t have been wise at all to do it! Lol! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

35. wendylime says:

OMG! These look amazing! I can’t wait to give them ago. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

36. Fat Tuesday – daughter asked for Selma buns…. I didn’t make them πŸ™

37. These look sensational, I want to pick one out of the picture and eat it.

38. They look so yummy Angie! I hope you had amazing and relaxing moment eating these beignets!

39. Grew up eating beignets made fresh by my French maman. Never saw a store bought doughnut yet never made them myself! Shame! Your recipe looks easy Angie. It does seem like every Feb celebration was jammed together this year!!!

How lucky! I didn’t have as much sweet treats growing up. My mom was, and still is, into healthy eating, whole grain that sort of thing. But as soon as I was able to cook, I started rebelling and making my own desserts, haha… I agree, February seems to always be so jam packed, probably since it’s a short month. This IS a very easy recipe, and fool proof! Happy Valentine’s Day! XOXO

40. Maria says:

These little heart-shaped beignets are so cute (and they look so tasty). I’ve never made my own donuts (or beignets) before but I’d love to try this method. You make it look so simple. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Oh this is very easy, Maria! Guaranteed fool proof! Not the healthiest, coz of the frying but hey, once a year should be ok. And if you make it yours you can use healthier oil πŸ˜ƒ Happy Valentine’s Day to you, too! ❀️❀️

41. omg…I must make these now….and i thought i was done with all crazy cooking for the day πŸ™

42. I ADORE Beinets. That was one of my favorite parts of visiting New Orleans. Happy Valentines Day Angie!

43. anitacuisine says:

Love the story and beignets …..oh my they look delicious !!! I have to make this tomorrow ! I will come back with the feedback ! πŸ™‚

Thank you!! Now I do have another beignet recipe that’s normally my go-to recipe, but it requires chilling in the fridge for many hours. Supposedly that makes the beignets puff even more, but this one is wonderful as well. Can’t wait to find out what you think!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ