An easy recipe for American-style scones that features fresh blueberries. Simple and satisfying!
Author: Angie | FiestaFriday.net
Recipe type: Bread/Breakfast
Yield: 8 scones
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) of butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ⅔ cup buttermilk or 1 beaten egg + buttermilk enough to make the ⅔ cup
- Heat oven to 375° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add blueberries, stir to distribute evenly.
- Add buttermilk all at once, stirring just until moistened.
- On a floured surface, gently knead dough 5-6 times. Do not overwork the dough.
- Form dough into a disk, about ¾ inch thick, then cut into 8 triangles.
- Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg mixed with milk. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, if you like.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.