Sopes for Cinco de Mayo

1. Shari says:

These are absolutely gorgeous, Angie! I have never heard of sopes, but they sure look like they would taste wonderful. I’m not a big shrimp person, but I can tell I would like these with all those flavors going on. Thanks so much for sharing. I definitely want to try them! And thanks for letting us know of an easier way to make them. Always appreciated!

Thanks, Shari! They are really good!! Try them with chicken instead or salsa and cheese, or beans. I’ve also tried shredded pork. They’re all delicious! And they’re so fun to eat! 🙂

2. Great idea making sopes into a small cup. I have made them a little larger and by hand but I like your technique. Great pictures and a creative post. Perfect for Cinco de mayo

Thanks, Quinn! I didn’t want to burn my fingers, that’s why! Plus it was so much easier and faster this way. I hope you’ll give it a try! 🙂

Simply brilliant, Angie! A friend of mine gave me a recipe for sops some time ago and I have been meaning to make them, but now you really have inspired me! I don’t think his recipe has the potatoes, and he filled his with pulled pork! I have to make them now! 😀 Your idea of the cookie cutter mould is awesome! Great post! Feliz Cinco de Mayo a tu, tambien! 🙂

I think the potatoes make them lighter. I’ve also seen recipes with eggs and baking powder. Haven’t tried those. Pulled pork sounds great! I did make shredded pork topping that was awesome. They are very versatile I don’t know why I don’t make them very often. Muchas gracias, Julianna! 🙂

4. Wishing I was at your house for Cinco de Mayo Angie! Any of these little beauties left??? M.xx

Making more today; I have a 5 lb bag of masa harina! And making mojito, too. It’s Cuban but goes so well with these sopes! Hop on a plane already! 😀

5. Never had sopes but these look absolutely delicious. Such gorgeous photography and great detailed instructions Angie! Happy Cinco de Mayo!

6. Hilda says:

Feliz 5 de Mayo. I’d never heard of sopes, but they do look easy and very festive. Thanks for all the useful tips too.

7. As always Angie, gorgeous and delicious. I have never had Sopas but definitely need to try these. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Thanks, Suzanne! You may have had something similar, like gorditas. Essentially they’re thick tortillas. Quite versatile with many options for the toppings. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

8. What a great recipe Angie – this is a Mexican dish I will make. Gene was not into Mexican food so much other than chiles rellenos! No excuse now. Happy Cinco de Mayo to you 🙂

Thanks, Juju! I’d be interested to know what you think. Some recipes also call for baking powder and eggs in the dough. I’m guessing that would result in lighter sopes but I haven’t tried it. Sometimes I think simple is best. 🙂

9. coconutcraze says:

Cool appetizers! This looks so colourful and inviting! I am sure it will be gone in no time!

10. Jess says:

Happy Cinco de Mayo Angie- I could put away an embarrassing amount of these babies, no problem. They look delicious 🙂

Lol, these babies are tiny so it really wouldn’t be that embarrassing to eat multiples in one sitting! 😀 Happy belated Cinco!

11. Angie, you are so darn good. I was going to make sopes for Cinco de Mayo after eating them for breakfast almost every day in Mexico this year (i alternated with chilaquiles). I went for bulgogi tacos instead. But sopes….yum. yours look beautiful and authentic and I’m totally stealing your recipe to make them this weekend. You nail it every time.

You are just too kind, Amanda! If you had made your sopes, they would have been much better than mine! I may be able to call myself “Not The Novice Cook” (unlike in gardening, ahem) but I can’t call myself “Darn Good Cook”, not yet anyway. Bulgogi tacos, btw, sound inspiring!!

Btw, I tried leaving a comment on your almond milk post, but somehow unable to. Do you use Jetpack, too? I heard from Fae that she can’t leave a comment on my site, either, due to Jetpack. I need to figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m glad you stopped by. At least I know we can connect still. XOXO

• You are humble. These look great. Fae can’t leave one on my site either! I am using jetpack. I didn’t want ppl to have to sign in every time though to leave comments. Very frustrating, but thanks for telling me. I have to figure something out. Let me know if you figure out the issue. Xo

12. I saw them on fb when I was running (or better, walking) on the trade miller… so hard keep training Angie! They look amazing.. and my cravings are hard to calm down!

13. Angie, these look heavenly! You won’t believe – I have noted this recipe of Chef Rick Bayless with the mashed potatoes as one that i absolutely need to try! Now that I have your version too, this is definitely going on my ‘soon to make’ list! So mouth watering!

Did you watch the show? It was at least 10 years ago! It was the first time I heard of sopes. I made them then right away, burning my fingers while pinching them still hot, deep-frying, etc. 😀 Let me know how they turn out for you!

• No Angie I didn’t watch the show although I came to the US 15 years ago. Was it on Food Network? Yes pinching them while hot must have been tricky. But ur baking idea was very clever! I am definitely going to try it!

This is absolutely fabulous! I am saving it!

15. Another yummy post. I want to try this recipe as well.